Fall is just around the corner, and with it comes home maintenance that needs to be done to prepare for colder weather. To make sure that your home is ready to handle the change in climate that the autumn months bring, take advantage of these 18 helpful and important tips for preparing your home.
Fall Maintenance Tips:
- Seal and patch any blacktop driveways.
- Check, tighten and adjust outdoor fences, gates and doors.
- Fill all of your sinks, drain them, and then check for leaks.
- Check your toilets for leaks.
- Change your indoor air filters.
- Check and tighten all of the light fixtures, wall plugs and wall switches.
- Align and adjust all cabinet doors.
- Check trim and woodwork for scratches, cracks or areas that are pulling away.
- Flush your hot water heater and then refill it.
- Check any crawlspaces for moisture and leaks.
- Check and clean air registers and grills.
- Double check any fire extinguishers.
- Clean out dryer vents and exhaust vents.
- Inspect your roof for missing shingles and gaps around the pipes and corners.
- Check linoleum flooring for rips, tears and curling.
- Check for erosion or shifting around your house.
- Bury any exposed sprinkler, wiring, or cable lines.
- Wash all of your home’s windows.
By following these 18 useful tips, you’ll be well on your way to getting your home in top shape for fall. Just make sure that any specialty work, such as roofing, patching blacktop, or fixing flooring, is taken care of properly and professionally.
For additional tips on how to take care of your home and property all year long, call Handyman Matters at 1-866-FIX-MY-HOME or enter your zip code above to schedule an appointment today. We’ll make sure that your home is well taken care of and prepared for fall.