Does business take you away from your home for extended periods of time?
Are you a “snowbird,” dividing your time between summer homes in the US and winter residences in Canada? Or do you have aging parents who don’t live close, and who aren’t able to properly care for their homes any longer?
If circumstances have you leaving your property for any reason, you can often engage a house sitter to water your plants and look after your pets. But oftentimes there are issues that require attention beyond the scope of what a traditional housesitting service is able to provide.
If you live in Canada or Minnesota half the year and in Arizona or Florida the other half, your property needs more maintenance than a pal or even a bonded house sitter can undertake. Or if your aging parents or other relatives live halfway across the country and depend on you to look after them, it’s unlikely you have the ability to check in to make sure everything in their house is operating with total efficiency as often as you’d like.
Handyman Matters’ Home Away From Home Program can handle the more maintenance-intense tasks to keep your home well maintained year-round. Here are just some of the services we provide:
- Remove all junk flyers, business cards, newspapers, garbage and miscellaneous items off of your property
- Sweep and clean entryway of debris
- Check outside perimeter of fences, windows, gates and doors to ensure security around the premise
- Visual roof inspection for possible weather damage during extreme seasons and bird nesting
- Ensure all landscaping is receiving the necessary irrigation and confirm that landscaper is showing up and doing the work you are paying for
- Take a monthly photo of the weather meter (upon request)
- Check breaker box for tripped breakers and make sure there has not been any tampering
- Inspect hot tub, spa or pool to make certain your pool company is making consistent visits
- Check interior for any unusual odors and hot/cold temperatures
- Turn on and run all water facilities
- Check timers for proper scheduling
- Refrigerator temperatures are noted and food that is expired, tossed
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Look for pests inside the property in all rooms
- Start car and run for a few minutes
- Turn on A/C or heat and ensure it is blowing cold or hot air
If you are responsible for looking after your parents or other loved ones and you do not live in close proximity to them, consider calling Handyman Matters to help you with the following aging in place projects which will allow your relatives to continue to live safely in their homes and give you peace of mind when you are not able to be with them:
- Install handrails and grab bars
- Non-skid flooring
- Wheelchair ramps and widen doors
- Kitchen and bathroom hazards
- Exterior evaluation
- Overall accessibility
Handyman Matters Home Away From Home Program is designed to give traveling homeowners, snowbirds or individuals worried about the safety of distant relatives, peace of mind knowing that their properties are being well maintained while they are away. For further information, call 1-800-FIX-MY-HOME or go to www.handymanmatters.com where you can enter your zip code and find Handyman Matters locations across the US and in Canada.