Remodeling by Handyman Matters
Remodel, home make-over, or renovating, is the process of restoring or improving a structure. A remodel often breathes new life into a home, freshens the look as well as any safety and health guidelines not followed originally.
Home remodeling began as a way to upgrade suburban quality of life. It was a way to change out the old for the new instead of buying new construction. Remodels now contribute to adding luxuries in McMansions, including home movie theaters, game rooms and master suites. This increases neighborhood property values as keeping up with home trends takes effect and real estate prices rocket sky high.
Remodel jobs often happen room by room. The process is simple on the surface: dream, research, draw, budget, take recommendations, hire, construct and decorate. Repeat for each room as necessary. Kitchen and bathroom remodels prove more complex. Homeowners will want to consider moving walls (not load-bearing ones) to expand the room, installing new cabinets or refinishing original cabinets, making room for new appliances and organizing each element to optimize the new and improved space.
Permits, moving and refinishing walls, cabinetry work, and flooring installation may take the typical weekend project past manageable. Handyman Matters completes remodel projects of any size in a professional and timely matter.
Simple remodel jobs are regarded as weekend projects, more complex jobs (kitchen and bathroom remodels) are easiest when contractors handle the task. Once a remodel is broken down to different tasks, basic projects can be identified, tackled and completed to create a larger end result.
Here is an example of what steps might be taken on a typical bathroom remodel. This one is scheduled to take two handymen five days to complete.
Bathroom Remodel: Day 1
- Unload tool, prep area with drop cloths and plastic sheeting for dust control
- Remove entry doorTurn off water to sink, disconnect supply line, disconnect trap, remove sink
- Remove mirror
- Remove countertop
- Remove vanity
- Remove toilet
- Remove medicine cabinets
- Remove tile or shower enclosure and backing in tub/shower area
- Remove and replace drywall as needed
- Turn off water to home
- Disconnect tub drain
- Disconnect tub faucet
- Remove tub
- Replace tub/shower valve
- Install new tub
- Install densi-shield or cement board in tub/shower area
- Tape and mud densi-shield joints
- Drywall taped and mudded two coats using 20 minute hot mud as needed
- Turn water on to home
Bathroom Remodel: Day 2
- Sand, sponge, and finish drywall joints
- Texture to finish
- Use quickset mortar, set tile around tub or set enclosure
- Turn off water to home, cut off sink water shut offs, and replace with new shut off valves
- Turn water on to home
Bathroom Remodel: Day 3
- Grout wall tile
- Caulk 90 degree angles in shower/bath area
- Prime and paint walls
- Pre-paint or stain base, case, or quarter round trim
- Prep floor as needed (Install backer board on floor)
- Tile floor
Bathroom Remodel: Day 4
- Finish Painting 3rd coat
- Grout floor
- Assemble and Install new vanity
- Install new countertop, install faucet, supply lines, and drain to sink, install sink
- Connect plumbing on sink to drain and shut off valves
- Trim out Bathroom base and case
- Install toilet
Bathroom Remodel: Day 5
- Install shower/tub door
- Touch-up paint
- Install towel bars, etc.
- Install medicine cabinets
- Cleanup tools, remove drop cloths, remove plastic